Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What I read and why...

When I was a middle school I started to read books all the time. Many of them I read in a day after school. I would lock myself in my room and read until I was done. In 8th grade I first read Pride and Prejudice. I read it because I heard there was a movie coming out with Keira Knightely in it and I liked her from the Pirates of the Carribbean movies. I fell in love with Pride and Prejudice and wanted to read more Jane Austen books. Also in 8th grade my middle school librarian would let me pick out books to read from the secret teacher's library. I read books like Anna Karenina, The Secret Life of Bees, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I loved them all and now own all of them. I also started to read Nicholas Sparks books then. I own all of his books now! During high school it was harder to read because of the school work load I had but I always found time.Now in college it's even harder to read during the school year. I have five new books waiting for me at home that need to be read but won't be till school ends. Not to mention that I have about 20 books in my bookshelf that I still need to read. I love reading because it is an escape for me. I get so wrapped up in the characters, the setting, and plot that when a person tries to get my attention while reading I do not hear them at all. I block everything out around me when I am reading a good book. I love reading books that take place in Europe and that is probably why I am trying so hard to get over there in the next few years to see all the places I have read about. I also love reading post-apocoplytic books which is very strange because I don't like thinking out my world being destroyed and all of us dying. Books like The Giver, The City of Ember, The Hunger Games, and The Uglies are all amazing to me to think that our world could end up like those settings one day. I hope that when I am a teacher I can show my students how wonderful it is to read and have them want to continue to read as they get older. I want to show them that reading is not just about answering questions on a test or doing a project on a book. It's about learning something new and experiencing a new place. It's an escape that you can always go back to and visit.

1 comment: